- Freestanding Ambulatory Surgical centers are private or corporate entities.
- Its can work with a hospital but its have separate billing system and can work as an independent from any hospital,
- In 2008, Medicare published a list of procedure that covers in freestanding ASCs but private payer may have their own list of covered services.
- Freestanding ASCs work as a hospital based outpatient setting .
Specialty covers in Freestanding ASCs
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) accredits nine types of ASCs:
- Cosmetic surgical centers
- Endoscopy centers
- Ophthalmology practices
- Laser eye surgery centers
- centers for oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Orthopedic surgery centers
- Plastic surgery centers
- Podiatry clinics
- Multi-specialty surgery centers
CMS updates price list annually. But other insurance carriers may reimburse a separate facility fee for procedure that not covers in Medicare list.